Monday, January 10, 2011

I Bought A CD From A Guy In The Subway!

Early one morning, as I was approaching the elevator in Civic Bart Station, Ganksta C emerged from the shadows and asked me under his breath, in the conspiratorial whisper usually reserved for husalin the rocks, if I like Hip Hop. There was a noticeable hesitation and pause on my part, and I dashed for the elevator, as I was already late for work. But he followed me in, and began playing one of his tracks on his cell phone. It didn't sound too bad, so what the fuck, I gave him five bucks for a demo CDR, which was carefully folded into a hexagonal paper sleeve. I asked him if he produced it himself and he said "yeah." I would be a hypocrite if I didn't support the DIY endeavors of struggling underground musicians, right?

So eventually I listened to it, and it was surprisingly old school and funky, containing some dope rhymes about the rigors of slangin' and bangin' down in tha H.P. I was going to post the demo up here for download, but you know what? Why don't you just go down to the BART station and find this guy?

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I got solicited by this guy as well at the montgomery station. Totally asked me in the same hushed way if I liked hip hop. I said yes and then he asked if I wanted to buy an album. I said I would have to hear it first and asked him if he had a website. He then gave me a premade promotional flyer with the above image on it with a web address. I went home and checked it out and yeah, it didnt sound too bad actually. Kinda wish I had bought one now haha.

    ReplyDelete